17 Jul Everyone wants to write a book
So why haven’t you? There is no better time to get published and to get your book out into the world. The barriers to becoming a published author are disintegrating and it’s much simpler to create a book.
Start with a plan
- What do you want to write about?
- Create your contents page so you have structure.
- Photography or stock images? Choose a photographer whose previous work is similar to what you’re seeking.
- Find a designer whose style resonates with you.
- Find a publisher, self-publishing or ebook.
- Budget – time, and money for completing the book.
- Marketing & PR – start thinking about how you’ll get your book onto the bestseller lists.
Creating the book
- Schedule your writing time – give yourself a word count to reach every time so you stay on track.
- Get feedback – find your potential readers and ask for their honest opinions (your mum will always support you but may not be the most impartial).
- Tweak, rewrite and perfect your text – this process is crucial to minimising design changes and costs.
- Find examples that you love to show your photographer – then trust them to create photos. You may like to engage a stylist.
- Share your text, images and vision with your designer. The design process will generally take 2-3 weeks depending on the complexity.
- Send the completed files to the publisher and sit tight while your book is printed.
- The final step is of course to host a launch party and celebrate your awesome achievement.
That’s it in a nutshell – and it doesn’t get much more complicated so start writing and speak to us if you need any advice along the way.